SFG Blank Book Project Home



What is the
SFG Blank Book Project?


The SFG Blank Book Project is a traveling sketchbook created collaboratively by Jeff Andrews and Steph Doyle.

For approximately 500 days, the sketchbook will travel from Washington DC to 50 illustrators around the world. Once the book arrives, each illustrator has 7 days to complete a sketch and send the book on to the next illustrator. The book will reach its final destination approximately mid-December, 2008.

The theme for this inaugural book is, "Where I Live." We hope to launch a second book project at the begining of the new year


Participant Illustrations





SFG


Design Inspiration


Powered by Blogger

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Steph Doyle - Fritchie House

When I decided to do my sketch for the SFG Blank Book Project, I first planned an exploration of the history in my present home town of Frederick, Maryland. The town was here during the founding of the nation and was called home by many historically famous people.

Francis Scott Key, the composer of the National Anthem, was born and buried here. Thomas Johnson, the first Govenor of Maryland, was born and buried here. But I wanted to highlight a person that didn't fit the typical stereotype of a local hero or legend. I wanted to cover someone that was different.


Above is a small section of my illustration. This window was the place where 96 year-old Barbara Fritchie hung out in September, 1862, waving the Stars and Strips in defiance of Stonewall Jackson's troops as they marched through town. Legend has it that she touched the General's heart with her words and was spared due to her incredible devotion to her country.

Labels: ,

 

2 Comments:

At August 14, 2007 at 2:40 AM, Blogger pati said...

That's so nice, Steph. I can't believe I'm going to see it for real ;)

 
At August 14, 2007 at 10:17 PM, Blogger Michelle Lana said...

awesome drawing steph.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



© 2007 SFG