SFG Blank Book Project Home



What is the
SFG Blank Book Project?


The SFG Blank Book Project is a traveling sketchbook created collaboratively by Jeff Andrews and Steph Doyle.

For approximately 500 days, the sketchbook will travel from Washington DC to 50 illustrators around the world. Once the book arrives, each illustrator has 7 days to complete a sketch and send the book on to the next illustrator. The book will reach its final destination approximately mid-December, 2008.

The theme for this inaugural book is, "Where I Live." We hope to launch a second book project at the begining of the new year


Participant Illustrations





SFG


Design Inspiration


Powered by Blogger

Friday, August 10, 2007

The Book is Launched

Today the SFG Blank Book got it's launch and has started the trek with Michelle Lana, the second illustrator on the list.


I was fortunate enough to work close enough to Michelle to make arrangements for the both of us to meet for lunch rather than shipping the box across town. We both agreed to meet on August 10th, which would have been the scheduled arrival date for her to receive the book had I have shipped it.

In my haste to making lunch arrangements, I didn't ask Michelle what she looked like or what she would be wearing, so I awkwardly walked into a very busy Panera Bakery expecting to get lost in the Friday lunchtime crowd. Michelle recognized me right off and called my name from across the crowded room. I guess I was the only guy carrying a big cardboard box and that gave me away. I'm sure it wasn't my devilishly good looks.


Michelle was stoked! I could see the excitement immediately as she stared at the cardboard box I had under my arm. I decided rather than making her go through the torture of having to wait, I would open the box and show her the book before we ordered our food. We both went over the shipping list and I explained what the vellum in the bottom of the box was for (the vellum is to place between the pages to protect your work).

Michelle had many questions and through her questions I hope to shed further light on this project:

1. What can I draw?
You may draw anything you want. A person, place, or thing, as long as it is significant to your geographic location.

2. Do I have to draw something from my present town?"
No, you may draw something from your state, or a large city that is close by that gives a feel for where you live. You could illustrate an historical event, like a guy in your town that invented the egg beater.

3. Do I have to express ship the box?
No, you may send it to the next recipient using ground shipping.

4. Where should I take a picture of myself with the box?
I would recomment an interesting landmark or place that reflects the flavor of where you live. Once you have these pictures, send them to Jeff or myself with an interesting story so I can post them to the this site.


After we talked and ate our lunch, Michelle and I have agreed to meet again and hang out down in Old Town Alexandria. This time I'm taking my wife along. She loves a restaurant down there call Bull Feathers. I think the advantage of meeting in person offers a great opportunity to start a new friendship and to meet the person behind the illustration. I look forward to building a lasting freindship with Michelle and I also look forward to meeting many other SFG illustrators in the future.

Labels: , ,

 

4 Comments:

At August 11, 2007 at 12:10 PM, Blogger Michelle Lana said...

Thanks Steph! although i'm a little embarassed now ;) I'm off to drawing!

 
At August 11, 2007 at 6:48 PM, Blogger Jeff Andrews said...

looks like you guys had a great time Steph and that teaser illustration is great! Can't wait to see this book when it gets to me!

:)

 
At August 13, 2007 at 4:28 AM, Blogger Jason Raish said...

Very cool I can't wait to get the book. I will meet with Tommy Kane here in NYC to get the book who is on the list right before me. Very cool project!

 
At August 14, 2007 at 2:38 AM, Blogger pati said...

Ohhh... I'm so excited that I can't wait! It's been so nice to 'meet' Steph and Michelle by photos :)

I just love this project!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



© 2007 SFG