SFG Blank Book Project Home



What is the
SFG Blank Book Project?


The SFG Blank Book Project is a traveling sketchbook created collaboratively by Jeff Andrews and Steph Doyle.

For approximately 500 days, the sketchbook will travel from Washington DC to 50 illustrators around the world. Once the book arrives, each illustrator has 7 days to complete a sketch and send the book on to the next illustrator. The book will reach its final destination approximately mid-December, 2008.

The theme for this inaugural book is, "Where I Live." We hope to launch a second book project at the begining of the new year


Participant Illustrations





SFG


Design Inspiration


Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Ben Schlitter - Overlapping Customs

Last night I received a teaser and geo image from illustrator Ben Schlitter.

The Blank Book made a hop and skip when it initially went to Kansas and was then forwarded to Ben's new digs on the West Coast. Here we see Ben on a nice sunny Beach with the Blank Book Box. I don't know about most of you, but I certainly wish I could spend my winters at this location.

Ben writes:

For twenty-six years I lived in small-town western Kansas. In 2007 I made the jump to the Los Angeles area, ending up in the city of Santa Monica. The contrast is pronounced. Overlapping cultures and customs provide a never ending cast of characters and inspiration. It's a busy city that seems to have grown organically, like a giant blob that oozed from maybe two or three main points but with no real coherent plan.

I built my drawing in a similar way, letting it expand but with no concrete vision of the final form.



The book is finally back on track and headed back toward Maryland where I will be personally handing it off to Ray Lederer.

Labels: , ,

 

2 Comments:

At February 4, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Blogger Ray Lederer said...

Yikes! That was fast! Just a couple of weeks ago there was like 5 people ahead of me! Um... well I'll go as fast as I can although there's no guarantees at this point. We're still living out of boxes since we just moved here and we're dealing with some basement flooding that occurred right after we moved in, which is where my studio WAS. (arg!)

 
At March 1, 2009 at 7:25 PM, Blogger milo said...

Yah! the book finally made the left coast... hooray!
Can't wait to see it... the teasers look great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



© 2007 SFG